Note: There are no spoiler alerts in this review.
Cast: Deepika Padukone, Arjun Kapoor, Naseeruddin Shah, Pankaj Kapoor and Dimple Kapadia, with Ranveer Singh in cameo role.
Director: Homi Adajania
Production: Maddock Films/Fox Star Studios
Released: September 12th, 2014
This was an off-beat light-hearted comedy story about five oddballs who set out to Goa to find Stefanie Fernandes (Fanny). Throughout their journey, they discover love and friendship in one another. This movie is in English, no subtitles needed here. If you’re a Deepika Padukone or Naseeruddin Shah fan – this one is for you. If you want to gawk at Arjun Kapoor, go right ahead. Enjoy it while it lasts though, this movie runs just 105 minutes. It is a very simple film of low expectations with a slow, but soulful plot.
- Deepika is in it.
- Not your typical hindi movie with song and dance numbers every five minutes.
- It’s a comedy, yet can be dark/satirical at times which is rare in Bollywood.
- All of Deepika’s outfits consist of a few simple, floral dresses which, no doubt, look stunning on her.
- It’s a “feel good” short-film that will leave you feeling light afterwards.
- The plot is slow, especially in the beginning – I’d say be patient and go with the flow.
- Although the title of the movie is catchy… Finding Fanny?
- I wish they had expanded on Arjun Kapoor’s role in this movie and made Ranveer Singh’s cameo longer…he was hilarious!
* Fun Fact * The film was initially offered to Imran Khan and Sonam Kapoor, but they both rejected the offer.
On the whole, save the trip to the movie theater and see this movie on a lazy Sunday afternoon or a cozy night in.
Sets/Filming Location: 4/5
Eye Candy: 3/5
Length of Movie: 5/5
Overall: *** (3/5) or 6.5/10
* = flop, don’t even bother
** = time pass, you’ll live if you don’t see it
*** = worth a watch
**** = A hit!
***** = Bollywood Blockbuster